Participate in Florida Audubon Eagle Watch using new phone app

Participate in Florida Audubon Eagle Watch using new phone app

NewMexiKen
Administrator

Please respond to this invitation from Shawnlei Breeding, Audubon EagleWatch Program Manager. Anyone who observes one of the nests may now provide important data to the project.

“Hello!

Happy first day of the official eagle nesting season! I’m excited to announce that the improved database is now open for business! Change can be difficult and there were definitely hiccups throughout this process. I had hoped the new platforms would be up and running sooner but I appreciate your patience during this transition.

We are now ready for all active volunteers to begin entering nest observations via computer in the online Nest Survey Form or via the Nest Survey app on your smartphone or tablet. You may access the database on your computer by clicking here. The login process has changed this year. Now all volunteers will use the same login credentials:

User name: Vol_eaglewatch

Password: Eagle5urvey!

You may also choose to enter observations on the handy new Nest Survey app. To download the Nest Survey app, visit the App Store on your iPhone/iPad or Google Play store on your Android smartphone/tablet and search for Survey123 for ArcGIS and choose to download. When the download is complete, open the app. Enter the above login credentials to sign in, then click Get Surveys. Choose EagleWatch_Data_Entry_2019 and click OK. You will now see the EagleWatch Survey as an option on your screen. Touch to open the Survey and then choose Collect Data at the bottom of the screen to begin entering your observation. The Tech Team at National Audubon created a helpful video to walk you through this process, which you can access here.

The new Nest Survey very similar to the old format and is easy to use. The survey is divided into three sections which have down arrows to expand or contract them for ease of scrolling. We added a new Nest Status field, which quickly summarizes the status of the nest on that visit. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the available options. If you have any questions about your nest status, let me know. We removed the weather fields but you may report any unusual weather occurrences in the Additional Comments section. Finally, you will fill in your name and email at the end of the report before clicking submit. If using your computer, you may elect to have your internet browser auto-fill or auto-complete these sections for you to save time. This feature may be enabled in the Settings of your web browser. A quick Google search for “autofill” for your favored web browser will also walk you through these steps.

Some of you have already been entering comments for the 2018-2019 season for your nests in the old database. If you fall into that category, please make an initial observation in the new database summarizing what you’ve seen at your nest(s) so far this season (if eagles have already been seen at the nest or are nest building, for example). But no need to go back and re-enter the previous observations. I will still have access to them in the old database.

Last minute tweaks are still being made to the Volunteer Nest Map by the tech team. I hope to be able to send you that link in the next day or so. In the meantime, you may use the public EagleWatch Nest Map.

I realize this is a lot of information. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or issues using the new system. Thank you again for your patience through this process. I’m looking forward to another fun and successful nesting season!”

Shawnlei Breeding
Audubon EagleWatch Program Manager
407.644.0190

Audubon Center for Birds of Prey