UPDATED: Participate in Florida Audubon Eagle Watch using new phone app

UPDATED: Participate in Florida Audubon Eagle Watch using new phone app

NewMexiKen
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Please respond to this invitation from Shawnlei Breeding, Audubon EagleWatch Program Manager. Anyone who observes one of the nests may now provide important data to the project. These instruction were updated OCT 12--

Hello!

We are now ready for all active volunteers to begin entering nest observations via computer in the online Nest Survey Form or via the Nest Survey app on your smartphone or tablet. You may access the database on your computer by using the same web URL from last season: http://www.auduboncitizenscience.org
 or by accessing the new Volunteer Landing Page and choosing the Submit Your Data tab.  The login process has changed this year. Now all volunteers will use the same login credentials to access all sites:

User name: Vol_eaglewatch

Password: Eagle5urvey! [note that is a NUMERAL “5”, not a LETTER “S”, in the password AND THERE IS AN EXCLAMATION POINT AT END OF PASSWORD]

If you enter the login credentials incorrectly, you may be locked out for a few minutes. Take a break and come back and try again. If you still can’t get in, let me know. To avoid this problem, I strongly suggest that you use Copy and Paste to enter the login credential on the sign-in screen, and then check the box to Remember You so it will autofill for you in the future. Please don’t share this login information with others. Only trained volunteers are authorized to access the Survey Form and Volunteer Landing Page.

You may also choose to enter observations on the handy new Nest Survey app. To download the Nest Survey app, visit the App Store on your iPhone/iPad or Google Play store on your Android smartphone/tablet and search for Survey123 for ArcGIS and choose to download. When the download is complete, open the app. Enter the above login credentials to sign in, then click Get Surveys. Choose EagleWatch_Data_Entry_2019 and click OK. You will now see the EagleWatch Survey as an option on your screen. Touch to open the Survey and then choose Collect Data at the bottom of the screen to begin entering your observation. The Tech Team at National Audubon created a helpful video to walk you through this process, <a href="http://www.eaglewatchflorida.org/media/Downloading Survey App video.mov">which you may access here.

The new Nest Survey very similar to the old format and is easy to use. The survey is divided into three sections which have down arrows to expand or contract them for ease of scrolling. We added a new Nest Status field, which quickly summarizes the status of the nest on that visit. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the available options. If you have any questions about your nest status, let me know. We removed the weather fields but you may report any unusual weather occurrences in the Additional Comments section. Finally, you will fill in your name and email at the end of the report before clicking submit. If using your computer, you may elect to have your internet browser auto-fill or auto-complete these sections for you to save time. This feature may be enabled in the Settings of your web browser. A quick Google search for “autofill” for your favored web browser will also walk you through these steps. To submit another survey, simply click on the Submit Your Data tab again.

The Volunteer Landing Page also contains the link to the nest map where you can search by NestID, GPS coordinates, street address or landmarks. For best viewing and searching in this map, I advise that you choose the option to “click here to open in another window.” The Information icon (white circle with an “i” in the middle) in the left blue menu provides information on the different menu options and features in the map. In the Layers menu option of the map (in the left blue menu bar, icon looks like a stack of paper), you can turn on and off the buffer circles for ease of viewing. If observations have been submitted for this nest, you can view them by clicking on the nest point and then choose a nesting season in the Related Tables in the pop-up window. You can also now view the FWC data for a nest! To do so, return to the Layers menu and deselect the Nest Locations layer (which contains the EagleWtach data) and select the FWC Nest Records layer, then search by NestID and click on the nest point to view the data.

I realize this is a lot of information. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or issues using the new system. Thank you again for your patience through this process. I’m looking forward to another fun and successful nesting season!

Shawnlei Breeding
Audubon EagleWatch Program Manager
407.644.0190

Audubon Center for Birds of Prey